Previously, we reported that due to clash between workers and the managerial staff at the Maruti’s Manesar plant in Gurgaon, the launch of new Maruti Alto 800 might get delayed but we say Maruti would want to bring the new car around the festive season of Diwali to ensure it doesn’t lose out to the market. And this new small car will be based on the existing Alto platform.
Now AutoCarIndia has reported more details of the car which are as follows:
- It will be powered by the same 796cc three-cylinder motor (F8D) from the current-Alto, but will satisfy the latest emission norms
- Maruti will price the new Alto 800 less than the current-Alto
- On the inside, it will feature all-new interiors and will be more spacious than the current-Alto
- On the front-fascia, the car gets high-mounted headlights, a slim, slot-like grille and there is a huge secondary air-inlet opening above and below the bumper
- On the rear, the car will have a wider, U-shaped rear-windscreen for better visibility, and there is a wide tailgate for better accessibility to the cargo bay
- The new 800 is likely to share a lot of running gear with the current-Alto
- Basic and cost-effective MacPherson strut setup in front
- Coil spring torsion beam axle at the rear &
- Better crash protection.
The upcoming new Alto 800 will not only replace the Maruti 800, but it will also replace the existing Alto F8 ie. the 800 cc version of the Alto. It is also learnt that Maruti is targeting the new Alto 800 to be priced below Rs 2 lakh to distance it from the current-Alto by atleast Rs 40,000 and put it smack into Nano territory.
Source – AutoCarIndia