Last week a Maruti Suzuki Celerio (Diesel) driven by Dr .Jitedra Parmar caught fire while he returning home after visiting a temple, the incident took place on the Navsari – Surat highway at 6.45 am. It is suspected that it was a short circuit that caused the fire. As per the on-lookers witness the fire spread so fast that Dr. Jitendra could not get out of the car, infact the car was still in motion while engulfed in fire.
One of the passer-by Mr. Dinesh got his hand burnt while he made a brave attempt to rescue Dr. Jitendra, but unfortunately he could not save him. It took about 15 mins for the fire brigade to control the fire, but it was too late for the driver. The entire incident was video recorded by an on-looker and is made available to us courtesy tv9 Gujarati.
Maruti Celerio was launched a the 2014 Delhi Auto Expo, it was also India’s first car to be equipped with an AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) gearbox. In June earlier this year, Celerio was launched with Maruti`s first ever indigenous 793 cc twin cylinder diesel engine coupled to a manual transmission gear box. Celerio diesel price ranges from INR 4.65 lakh to INR 5.71 lakh and has claimed to achieve a mileage of 27.62 kmpl.
It is yet to be ascertained why the Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel caught fire? This is not the first time a driver has been burnt inside his own car. There have been several incidents reported in the past across India. Do read the below link how to save ourselves, if we get struck in a similar situation sometime!
Checkout a video and more pictures, after a jump.
To read more on Car engulfed in flame in India, Click here
Also see: Tips – 5 ways to survive, if your car catches fire