Austrian bike maker, KTM has decided to display the sharp looking 1190 RC8 R at selected Pro-Biking showrooms across India. Bajaj Auto has got the KTM 1190 RC8 superbike in India as a part of brand building exercise only and the bike won’t be sold in India any time soon. This decision would be primarily targeted at creating some awareness on KTM’s line-up of motorcycles as there is a general misconception that KTM produces only off-road motorcycles.
KTM 1190 RC8 R is the second iteration of an edgy beast that was initially launched in 2008. The company showcased the RC8 concept in 2005 and received a lot of applaud for the same, resulting in this beast going into production. KTM claims the 1190 RC8 R has one of the most powerful V2 engines of our times and one of the best chassis in the world. This motorcycle might look like a complete track machine, but it is totally street legal. If brought to India, the KTM RC8 R will cost in excess of Rs. 20 lakhs, as it will be a CBU model.
Similar to other super bikes, 1190 RC8 R also has an aggressive face but it features the typical styling of KTM. The oval shaped face of this bike differentiates it from others. The long headlight has been placed artistically in its front fairing which also has a stylish visor. You will also notice rear view mirrors integrated with LED side indicators which are neither mounted on its fairing nor on its handlebar. They arise from just behind the visor of this bike which gives it a unique identity. The broad front tyre, fender and big disc plate at its front gives macho look to this bike.
The racy decals on its semi side fairing looks very sporty and you will also like the way KTM has integrated its engine cowl with muffler. The up-raised fuel tank has been neatly designed with 3D sharp cuts on it. The awkwardly tall positioned rear cowl of this bike grabs your attention instantly. There is huge gap between its rear cowl and rear tyre which gives naked looks to this super bike. The rear cowl features two horizontal layers of its LED tail light while its short rear fender carries its number plate and side indicators.
KTM 1190 RC8 R has a fully digital instrument console which features an orange colored LCD. The bike features bar style tachometer and digital speedometer, odometer, 2-trip meter, clock and fuel gauge. All other essential indicators are also placed in this dashboard which provides important information to the rider. The bike is equipped with 17” inches alloy wheels. KTM is likely to launch a single variant of this bike in two different shades, probably white and black.
The KTM 1190 RC8 R is powered by a twin cylinder 75 degree V-twin that produces a very healthy 173 HP and 127 Nm of torque with a power delivery and low end grunt that will keep you very involved. There is no need of frequent gear shifts in this bike as its maximum torque arrives at 8000rpm. The bike reaches 0-100 kmph in less than 4 seconds and can reach the top speed of 280 kmph. RC8 R offers you strong low and mid-range. Despite being a fast performer, the bike manages to return a respectable fuel economy of 15kmpl thanks to its light weight.
Undoubtedly, this is the most powerful bike of KTM which offers incredible performance, ride and handling. The bike looks distinctive and offers exclusive setting features which are not available in other super bikes.
(Special thanks to Mekhri circle KTM exclusive KTM dealer, Bangalore.)
Check out the more pictures below the jump.
Technical Specifications of 2013 KTM 1190 RC8 R –
- Design – 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, spark-ignition engine, 75° V arrangement, liquid-cooled
- Displacement – 1,195 cm³
- Bore – 105 mm
- Stroke – 69 mm
- Performance – 129 kW (173 hp)
- Starting aid – Electric starter
- Transmission – 6-speed, claw shifted
- Engine lubrication – Dry-sump lubrication with 3 rotor pumps
- Primary gear ratio – 40:76
- Secondary gear ratio – 17:37
- Cooling system – Liquid cooling system, continuous circulation of cooling liquid with water pump
- Clutch – PASC ™ Anti-hopping clutch / hydraulically operated
- Ignition system – Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment
- Frame – Tubular space frame made from chrome molybdenum steel, powder-coated
- Forks – WP Suspension Up Side Down
- Shock absorber – WP Suspension Monoshock
- Suspension travel front/rear – 120 mm
- Brake system front – Twin-disc brake with radially mounted four-piston
- brake calipers; floating brake discs
- Brake system rear – Single-disc brake with two-piston brake caliper; fixed brake disc
- Brake discs – diameter front – 320 mm
- Brake discs – diameter rear – 220 mm
- Chain – 5/8 x 5/16″ X-Ring
- Steering head angle – 66.7°
- Wheelbase – 1,425 mm
- Ground clearance(unloaded) – 110 mm
- Seat height (unloaded) lower subframe position – 805 mm
- Seat height (unloaded) upper subframe position – 825 mm
- Total fuel tank capacity approx. – 16.5 l
- Weight without fuel approx. – 184 kg
See more pictures of 2013 KTM 1190 RC8 R Superbike –