BA readers, we brought to you earlier the leaked images of 2012 Toyota Fortuner, now its official. This is the very same facelift that will be coming to India. Toyota has updated its Thailand website with images and specifications of the new SUV as well. The Fortuner was launched way back in 2005 and the current facelift is a minor one, till an all new model arrives in 2013.
As explained by the picture and the website, the car will only feature cosmetic changes and nothing has been changed from the technical point of view. Under the hood it gets the same 3.0 Liter CRDI diesel engine with intercooler turbocharger which puts out 171 PS and 343 Nm.
The new 2012 Toyota Fortuner improvements include –
- Starting with the front-end, the car now gets a more elegant chrome finished grille which replaces the old brushed aluminum one.
- Fog lamp size has not changed but position and housing is different
- The bonnet of the car has a new scoop with three four vents as compared the two in the current model
- Scuff plate placed under the bumper
- Bonnet scoop features three vertical pillars instead of the current two
- Pacman-type headlamp substituted by a Prado-style design
- Taller and wider headlights feature washers, which is absent in the Indian Fortuner
- Bumper now C-shaped and hugs the body closer
- Rectangular reflectors along with a restyled scuff plate
- Split tail light is V-shape
- Chromed brand plate connects the the tail lamps
- Fortuner brand name removed from under the left tail lamp and engine technology is shown instead
- The interiors look more luxurious now with wood inserts having dark grey finish
- The steering wheel borrowed from Camry
- Steering mounted controls have been repositioned so that they could be conveniently accessed by the driver’s thumb
Now, Toyota customers had been complaining about the lack of an automatic option in the Fortuner and this time Toyota might take heed of this and bring in the auto transmission. Despite the lack of an automatic gearbox the Fortuner has been selling only because of the brand and its street presence which is the most sought in India.
However, due to the success and high demand of the Toyota Innova or Toyota Fortuner, Toyota does not plan to launch the facelift anytime soon. But since the car is out in Thailand, it could be expected by year end or before mid 2012. We can only make assumptions on its launch but we are sure when it hits the market, Toyota could take advantage of the success and popularity of the Fortuner by hiking its price drastically.
Also see – Scoop –Toyota Fortuner facelift images leaked
More pictures of 2012 Toyota Fortuner facelifted –
Source – Toyota