BMW Motarrad has almost confirmed that the baby GS, the F650 GS will soon go on sale in India at prices starting at around the Rs 8 lakh mark. This news was confirmed by AutoCarIndia and surely brings a cheer to thousand of GS fans across the country!
The F650 GS is no new to the Indian market. Back in the 1990 BMW had tied up with Hero and launched this particular model (old gen). However the market was not ready for the high end bikes and it failed to gather attention. Now booming economy and higher purchasing power made BMW to target the lower segment with more affordable bikes.
In India, the F650 GS will make use of a four-stroke, liquid-cooled, 798cc parallel twin motor that generates 71 Bhp of power. The bike comes shod with 17 inch front and 19 inch rear wheels wrapped with capable, German Metzeler rubber and of course ABS as standard, which can be switched off for off road use.. The GS is more of a dual purpose bike and has proven itself time and again around the world in almost all kind of riding terrains.
This motorcycle makes alot of sense for bad road conditions and could be an excellent option for the adventure seekers amongst us. At 71Bhp, the bike might seem low on power for Rs 8 lakh, but factor in the 70odd Nm of torque, the capabilities, the comfort and the BMW logo and suddenly, the F650 GS seems like a very tempting buy! Would you go for one?
Technical Specifications of BMW F650GS –
- Engine : Water-cooled, 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication
- Bore x stroke : 82 mm x 75.6 mm
- Capacity : 798 cc
- Rated output : 71 hp at 7,000 rpm
- Max. Torque : 75 Nm at 4,500 rpm
- Maximum speed : 185 km/h
- Gearbox : Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox integrated into crankcase
- Drive : Endless O-ring chain with shock damping in rear wheel hub
- Frame : Tubular steel space frame, load-bearing engine
- Wheelbase : 1,575 mm
- Rim, Front : 2.50 x 19″
- Rim, rear : 3.50 x 17″
- Tyre, front : 110/80 – 19 59H
- Tyre, rear : 140/80 – 17 69H
- Brake, front : Single disc, diameter 300 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- Brake, rear : Single disc, diameter 265 mm, single-piston floating caliper
- ABS : Optional extra: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)
- Length : 2,280 mm
- Width (incl. mirrors) : 890 mm
- Height (excl. mirrors) : 1,240 mm
- Seat height, unladen weight : 820 mm (low seat: 790 mm
- Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled : 199 kg
- Usable tank volume : 16.0 l
- Reserve : approx. 4.0 l
Source – AutoCarIndia