Just last week we brought you the spy pictures of 2012 Tata Nano spotted at a dealership. Now Tata Motors has officially introduced the 2012 Nano, which gets a slight update to the engine, new colours, new interiors and an improved fuel economy. The 2012 Nano has got some decent upgrades but it does not really qualify for facelift.
The 2012 Nano gets many changes that include an updated motor which now churns out 37bhp (earlier 35bhp), and 5.2kgm of torque (earlier 4.8kgm). Apart from the added power, the 2012 Nano gets revised interiors; The top-end LX variant gets beige interiors with a silver centre console, while the CX version gets a ‘Rich Black’ colour scheme and the standard version gets a ‘Medium Graphite’ shade.
There are now 10 exterior paint colour choices, which include eight new shades. The higher-end CX and LX variants also get new wheel covers and a left outside rear view mirror.
The updated Nano is more fuel-efficient too, it now gives an ARAI-certified 25.4kpl (earlier 23.6kpl). The high fuel efficiency, with a low kerb weight of 600kg, also ensures that the Nano, at 92.7 g/km, has the lowest CO2 emissions among cars in India.
The 2012 Nano also gets a revised suspension set-up and features an anti-roll bar at the front. The steering mechanism has also been tweaked and the exhaust note has also been enhanced. Booster-assisted brakes, already available in the Nano CX and LX, have now been added to the standard variant as well.
Tata Motors has included all these upgrades without altering the price of the 2012 Nano from the outgoing model.
Technical specifications of 2012 Tata Nano –
- Overall Length 3099 mm
- Overall Width 1495 mm (Without ORVMs)
- Overall Height 1652 mm
- Wheelbase 2230 mm
- Ground clearance 180 mm
- Minimum Turning Circle Radius 4 m
- Seating Capacity 4 persons
- Fuel Tank Capacity 15 Litres
- Kerb Weight
- Nano 600 kg
- Nano CX 615 kg
- Nano LX 635 kg
- Boot Space With rear seat folded: 500 Litres
- Without rear seat folded: 80 Litres
ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
- Engine Type 624 cc, 2 cylinder, MPFI
- Maximum Engine Output 38 PS @ 5500 ± 250 rpm
- Maximum Torque 51 Nm @ 4000 ± 500 rpm
- Maximum Speed 105 kmph
- Gradeability 30%
- Transmission Synchromesh on all forward gears, Sliding mesh on reverse gear with overdrive on 4th gear
- No. of Gears 4 Forward + 1 Reverse
- Front Independent, Lower Wishbone, McPherson Strut with gas filled dampers and anti-roll bar
- Rear Independent, Semi Trailing arm with coil spring & gas filled shock absorbers
- Brake Type Dual Circuit, Vertical Split operated by tandem master cylinder with vacuum booster
- Front 180 mm diameter Drum Brake
- Rear 180 mm diameter Drum Brake
WHEELS & TYRES
- Tyre Type Radial & Tubeless
- Front Tyre size 135/70 R12
- Rear Tyre size 155/65 R12
- Spare Tyre size 135/70 R12
- Wheels 4 B x 12
Features & Variants of 2012 Tata Nano in India –
The ride and handling has become better with a revised suspension set-up, including an anti-roll bar at the front, and a steering mechanism made easier. While the cabin is quiet, a racier sounding exhaust note now gives the Tata Nano a more assertive road presence. Booster-assisted brakes (Power Brakes), already available in the Nano CX and the LX, have now been added to the Nano Standard as well. The Nano CX and LX now have tip-tap mirrors on both the driver and passenger sides. For the Nano Standard, which already has a driver side mirror, the passenger side one can be installed as an accessory.
The interiors are new with enhanced look and feel – luxurious beige in the Nano LX, rich black in the Nano CX and stunning medium graphite in the Standard version. The exteriors are now a veritable vibgyor of 10 colours, eight of them new. . New half or full wheel caps accentuate the distinctiveness.
The three trim levels and their key features are;
Tata Nano Standard: The standard version comes with three colour options — Rouge Red, Aqua Blue, Serene White — along with clear headlamps, tubeless tyres and tip-tap driver side mirror, booster-assisted brakes and front suspension with anti-roll bar. The interiors comprise dual-tone vinyl seats and fold-down rear seat.
Tata Nano CX: The Nano CX comes in six colour options — Rouge Red, Champagne Gold, Neon Rush, Meteor Silver, Papaya Orange and Serene White. The interiors have been refreshed with trendy black fabric seats, ebony black interiors, fold-down rear seat with nap rest. Besides these, the variant offers best-in-class air-conditioning with heating (optional), parcel shelf, booster-assisted brakes, tip-tap mirrors on driver and passenger side and half wheel covers.
Tata Nano LX: The top-end variant comes loaded with features like premium beige fabric seats, central locking, door handles, front power windows, cup holder in front console, provision for 12V socket, body coloured bumpers, fog lamps, electronic trip meter, rear spoiler, full wheel covers and tip-tap mirrors on driver and passenger side and booster-assisted brakes. The Nano LX comes in six premium colours – Pearl White, Papaya Orange, Mojito Green, Sunshine Yellow, Meteor Silver and Champagne Gold.
All the variants come with an unmatched warranty of 4 years or 60,000 kms, whichever is earlier.
10 Shades out of which 8 are new shades in 2012 Tata Nano –
- Pearl White
- Rouge Red
- Aqua Blue
- Neon Rush
- Serene White
- Meteor Silver
- Mojito Green
- Papaya Orange
- Sunshine Yellow
- Champagne Gold
Prices of 2012 Tata Nano (Ex-showroom price, New Delhi) –
- Tata Nano Standard with BS4 Engine is priced at Rs. 1.40 Lakhs
- Tata Nano CX with non-metallic colour with BS4 Engine is priced at Rs. 1.70 Lakhs
- Tata Nano CX with metallic colour with BS4 Engine is priced at Rs. 1.73 Lakhs
- Tata Nano LX with metallic colour with BS4 Engine is priced at Rs. 1.97 Lakhs
Also see – Video – 2012 Tata Nano TV Commercial
See more pictures of 2012 Tata Nano –