Car market leader Maruti Suzuki’s bestseller Swift Dzire and Ertiga have been awarded the prestigious India Design Mark: Good Design Award. The India Design Mark Award recognizes product designers and the products created as being well designed, trustworthy, reliable, offering a true value for money and most importantly, being manufactured in a responsible manner.
This is the second consecutive year, where Maruti Suzuki models have been bestowed this award. In 2012, Wagon R and Swift were the winners of this prestigious award.
Incidentally, both Dzire and Ertiga are among the top selling models in terms of sales in the industry. During the year 2012-13, both these models added handsomely to the Company’s top line helping Maruti Suzuki post a growth of over 4.4% in domestic market.
The jury for the India Design Mark comprises country’s leading design experts and senior faculty members of India’s leading design institutes.
Speaking on the feat, Mr. C.V. Raman, Executive Director, Engineering said, “The core philosophy at Maruti Suzuki is to design products which have the highest standards in design and engineering. This prestigious award for the 2nd consecutive year to Maruti Suzuki is an acknowledgment of our passion and commitment to maintain the highest design standards for our cars. It also showcases our maturity in design engineering. The award motivates us to continue creating better and innovative cars.”
India Design Mark has been initiated in cooperation with Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP). Established in 1969, JDP contributes to the promotion of industrial activities, cultural improvement of the daily life and wholesome development of society through the encouragement of the design. Good Design Award is a comprehensive program for the evaluation and encouragement of design organized by Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP).
The objectives of these awards are:
- To recognize good design based on clearly established parameters and by following a transparent process of recognition
- To augment the competitiveness of Indian industrial output for domestic consumption and export markets
- To promote an industrial value system, which has regard for reducing waste, being eco-friendly, produce sustainable products; produce products that are reusable, repairable and recyclable
- To serve as a reference for purchase decision as it signifies good design not only in terms of how good the product looks, but also the product quality, functionality, quality, usability and social responsibility
- To communicate the inherent value proposition of the product and hence act as a brand extension for the product
- To increase design awareness and promote value of design in the industry and society by promoting India Design Mark granted designs through exhibitions, publications and press, thereby raising the demand for good design from users and manufacturers
- To overall improve the quality of life by encouraging good design